Where to get help

NBWS helps women from across the Northern Beaches (and further afield if necessary).
Unfortunately we do not currently have resources for families. Women with custody of a child/children can get referrals to other shelters and refuges by contacting:

Manly Warringah Women’s Resource Centre
(02) 9971 4499

Domestic Violence 24-hour Crisis Line
1800 65 64 63

Homeless Line (8am-10pm, 7 days)
1800 23 45 66

Domestic violence is the most often cited reason given by women presenting to specialist homelessness services for assistance. This includes physical, emotional and/or sexual abuse from your partner. But it’s important to remember that this is not the only cause of homelessness amongst women.
Homelessness can result from such a diversity of reasons that anyone in society can potentially experience homelessness at some stage in their lives.

What is an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO)?
An AVO is a protection/restraining order against another person. A woman can apply for an AVO if she is afraid of violence, harassment, molestation, intimidation, stalking or threats to her property from someone she is in a domestic relationship with. She does not have to have experienced physical violence to be able to apply for an AVO.

How to apply for an AVO:
The Domestic Violence 24-hour Crisis Line
(Tel: 1800 65 64 63) provides counselling and accommodation referrals by making arrangements on behalf of WRM’s 55 member refuges. Specifically, the DV Line can:
* assist with transport, emergency accommodation, hospital care;
* arrange accommodation in emergencies;
* refer clients to women’s refuges, explaining what refuges are and what they do;
* refer clients to family support services, counselling, the police and courts, lawyers and hospitals;
* assist with police, put clients in touch with sympathetic legal services and help them access a local Court Assistance Scheme;
* explain what an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) is and how to obtain one;
* provide contact details for members of Local Domestic Violence Committees.

If calls to the nearest town are STD and itemised on the womans phone bill, she does not have to worry. This 1800 number will not register as an STD call (excluding Broken Hill and Tweed). This is very important if the woman’s violent partner checks phone bills to see who she has been calling.

The NSW Women’s Refuge Movement (WRM) is a network of 55 refuges for women and children escaping domestic violence across NSW.
Visit their website

Centrelink can help homeless people access appropriate income support options.
If you are unable to produce standard forms of primary identification (such as a passport, driver’s licence, Certificate of Australian Citizenship, and birth certificate), Centrelink can find alternative ways of establishing identity. This involves completing a form giving Centrelink permission to verify your identity by other means such as contacting schools, family members, hospitals, community agencies and landlords.
Telephone 13 12 02 or visit their Northern Beaches office at 660-664 Pittwater Road, Brookvale.

Centrelink’s Crisis Payment can help people in severe financial hardship due to an extreme circumstance such as domestic violence. Find out more here

Victim Compensation: Victims of acts of violence (including domestic violence) may be  eligible for compensation for injuries sustained as a result of the act of violence. For more information contact the Victims of Crime  Bureau
Tel: (02) 9374 3005  or the Victims Compensation Bureau (02) 9374 3111.
Lifeline-Credit Line (Manly Warringah Pittwater) provides fully trained financial counsellors to help people in financial difficulties. This may include providing a liaison between a debtor and creditors to work out repayment schemes, budgeting and money management.
Hours: Tue-Thu 10am-5pm.
Telephone (02) 9949 5522 or visit 310 Sydney Rd, Balgowlah.

St Vincent de Paul Financial Counselling Service provides advice and information on a range of topics including money management skills, debts, being a guarantor and bankruptcy. Telephone (02) 9905 0424 or visit 638 Pittwater Rd, Brookvale.

Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (Australian Government): visit the housing and homelessness section of their website.
Visit their website: www.aihw.gov.au

Centrelink has many procedures and services in place to help people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, including a network of specialised staff, such as Social Workers, Centrelink Community Engagement Officers and Indigenous Service Officers.

Homelessness Australia is the national peak body working to prevent and respond to homelessness in Australia.
Visit their website: www.homelessnessaustralia.org.au

StreetSmart tackles homelessness at the grassroots. They form a bridge between the community and small, hard to reach agencies and projects that assist people experiencing homelessness or at risk.
Visit their website for more information.

The Domestic Violence Provision of Immigration Law enables a woman who is not a resident of Australia to leave a violent relationship and still be eligible for permanent residency.

Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) is a service from the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the cost of a local call. Telephone 131 450.

Domestic Violence Advocacy Service
Freecall: 1800 810 784

Indigenous Womens Legal Contact line
Freecall: 1800 639 784

Legal Aid Commission of NSW (Manly Regional Office) gives free advice for family and criminal law matters.
Telephone (02) 9977 1479 or visit Suite 6, Level 4, 39 East Esplanade, Manly.

Manly Community Centre
Provides free legal advice on Thursday evenings from 6 pm to 8 pm and the third Saturday of every month from 10 am to 12 noon. Telephone (02) 9977 1066 or visit 12 Wentworth Street, Manly .
Visit their website.

Womens Legal Resource Centre (WLRC)
Freecall: 1800 801 501

The BeyondBlue info line provides free information on depression, anxiety and related disorders, available treatments and referrals to relevant services.
Call 1300 22 4636 or visit their website

The GP Mental Health Care Plan provides 12 to 18 Medicare-subsidised sessions of individual therapy in a calendar year. To apply, make an appointment with your GP, who will give you advice and work with you to decide the approach that will suit you best to improve your mental health. Your GP may refer you to a psychiatrist, psychologist or other mental health professional, depending on your needs.

Find a psychologist near you that best suits your needs by asking your GP or doing a search on the Australian Psychological Society website.

Centrecare at Brookvale is a not-for-profit social care organisation that offers subsidised counselling services (payment is based on a sliding scale of your gross family income).
Call (02) 8968 5100 or visit their website

Lifeline has a free 24 hour crisis and suicide prevention telephone counselling service.
Telephone 13 11 14

Relationships Australia at Dee Why provides relationship support services for individuals, families and communities.They offer subsidised counselling services (payment is based on a sliding scale of your gross family income).
Call (02) 9418 8800

Job Focus at the Northern Beaches Neighbourhood Service is a free service for unemployed people including preparation, typing, photocopying of resumes and job application letters together with general advice on interviewing techniques. Resources: computer, phone, fax, photocopier.
Telephone (02) 9982 3044 to make an appointment.

Mission Australia at Brookvale provides employment services, including a two-year Personal Support
Program to assist people who are facing barriers to employment.
Telephone (02) 9905 8595 or visit their website.

Do you need help or are you homeless?

Please call us 02 9977 7772

If you are in immediate danger, please call 000

Homelessness is not having a safe, affordable home to sleep or live in. Unfortunately, this is the reality for one in every 200 Australians.

Homeless women lack personal security and privacy. They usually lack control over their environment and control over their lives, because they’re dependent on others to provide accommodation. They often lack connectedness with family, friends and the community. And they’re frequently discriminated against. Have you ever tried applying for a job or bank account without a fixed home address?

Need Help?
Get in touch with us

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top